an Expert: Here are some IDEAS for Publicizing your Events.
calendar is edited by Gene Sullivan. You can call him by dialing the
main Newsday number, which is 631-843-2020. Press 1. Press 4. Enter
S-U-L-L-I. His extension number is the first one that pops up. You
won't hear his name on the option list, but when last checked his
is the first "nameless" extension. He will probably advise you to
send a fax, but this guy gets so many faxes. Establishing rapport
first will probably be helpful.
For local papers
in Long Island Communities, go to http://www.mynoodle.org/mediaguide/media_np_us.htm Click
on New York and scroll the list for papers in your community.You will
find listed there such locals as:
- Amityville Record - 85 Broadway,
Amityville, NY, 11701-2728 Phone: 631-264-0077 Fax: 631-264-5310
- Babylon Beacon - 85 Broadway,
Amityville, NY, 11701-2728 Phone: 631-264-0077 Fax: 631-587-0198
- Brookhaven Review - 127 East
Main Street, Smithtown, NY, 11787-2840 Phone: 631-265-3500 Fax:
- The Herald (and also Prime
Time) is published by Richner Communications, 379 Central Ave,
Lawrence. NY 11559. Phone 516 569-4000, fax 516 569-4942. Email
(this might be an old one) email@example.com
- Carrier Pigeon - 2950 Veterans
Memorial Highway, Bohemia, NY, 11716 Phone: 631-665-4000 Fax:
631-698-7748 Web: http://www.lipennysaver.com
- The Long Beach Tribune is published
by Frank Naudus of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal: Long Beach
Tribune - 4 California Place North, Island Park, NY, 11558-2215
Phone: 516-431-5628 Fax: 516-431-5990
- There are many more!!
- Consider also sending an announcement to the Long Island Catholic.
Sooner or later, they may come to realize that our events are legitimate.
Liz O'Connor, editor 99 North Village Ave, Rockville Centre, 11571 Phone:
594-1000 fax 594-1092
- For some radio publicity, try WLIE Radio (540 AM)
Contact JOHN MCDERMOTT - PROGRAM DIRECTOR, MCDERMOTT@WLIE.COM, Ph# 631-243-5400
ext 202 • Fax# 631-243-5444
- Another idea: community event listings in This Week,
Pennysaver, and any of the weeklies that appear in
your mailbox. If you check your local editions, you will find local
contact names and numbers.
- As for any local paper, may we recommend that you contact an editor?
How about suggesting a news story on your parish voice? News editors
look for a "hook." An editor may not consider the meeting a strong enough
topic, but the reason for the formation of your PV might be. A speaker
addressing a newsworthy topic might also attract interest. If they do
a story in advance of your meeting, a meeting mention within an article
will carry greater weight than a small listing on the community events
page. (Not that there's anything wrong with small listings! We'll take
anything we can get, right?)
- Other ideas: Consider contacting local schools such as St.
John's University or Molloy College, especially
if you have a speaker with an interesting topic. Some professors and
students may enjoy listening to his or her comments.
- Have you posted a notice in your local library, local retail
- If area pastors permit: parish bulletins, signs, or flyers.
- Here's one more: How about giving your PV members a homework
Each PV member's assignment would be to hand 3 announcement flyers to
3 friends. Can you give flyers to friends in the K of C, AOH, Sons of
- Ok, one more idea: Cablevision has Local Guide channel.
It's Channel 18 in most if not all communities. Instructions are posted
on the hour at the top of the screen